Her address, Falling Short of Knowing and the Ethics of Uncertainty: A Pedagogic Model for Teaching Yoga is accompanied by a PowerPoint pdf (download the pdf so you can follow the keynote step-by-step and save it as a resource for study). Donna encourages a model that relies in equal measure on rigorous science and research and the ongoing cultivation of a being in a state of “intelligent unknowing.” Concerned with the increasing incidence and severity of Yoga injuries worldwide, she emphasizes that even the safest of Yoga techniques can be made dangerous if it is filtered through an unsound teaching model where the teacher, not the student gauges and determines threshold. This keynote outlines how to support the student’s independence and ability to make their own skillful choices.
In this keynote, Donna will share:
- How to create a safe and fear-free environment that supports both the teacher and the student
- How to gauge optimal educational thresholds
- How to engage the student’s active involvement in learning
- What happens when safe techniques are filtered through unsound teaching models
- Cultivating the student’s inner reference system as a movement towards independence
- Developing a horizontal communication model
- Embodying acceptance and compassion as the base state for all interactions
Please note: The audio recording is supplied as an mp3 download [166.8Mb]. If you have any problems downloading it:
1. Open the link in Firefox or Chrome
2. Go to the Firefox/Chrome menu and select “File/Save Page As”
3. Choose the location where you wish to save it. If you are using iTunes, the first time you click on it, it will automatically be imported
Are you a teacher?
You may also be interested in purchasing Teaching Yoga, by Donna Farhi where she explores the complex questions that lie at the heart of the teacher student relationship.
Please visit Rodmell Press for other exceptional titles.